In last weeks On-Track-Tuesday (March 13th), I referred to the ‘Easy Button’ and asked you to think about what you can do in your practice to be the ‘Easy Button’ for your team, and for your client. I would love to hear what you have come up with! Here are my thoughts on some of the strategies I have used in the past:
- Have a ‘Morning Huddle’ every day or prior to each shift. Similar to a football game, a huddle is performed prior to each play so that the players can strategize. This is your chance as a team to strategize the day ~ to look for ways you can help each other; recognize outstanding treatment; discuss radiographs needed; etc. Plan your day in the morning with a goal in mind for the day, because just like the football game, if you don’t have a goal in mind, you will end up running up and down the field and never score.
- Always have Open Communication. You need to create an environment that is ‘safe’ for each team member to share their thoughts without being judged. We often keep things in and sometimes, people talk about each other behind their back. This is not a healthy environment and one, that if you discuss and work together as a team and commit to it, can help you create a ‘safe’ and ‘open’ environment.
- Help your team during down time. If you have an opening; offer to help out! Make calls, sharpen instruments (if you haven’t yet switched over to the Sharpen-Free instruments), file, assist.
- Let your DDS ‘gently’ know when you are ready for an exam. Instead of going into the operatory and saying out loud that you are ready for an exam; place a sticky note on the wall in the view of the DDS or assistant and leave the room; or better yet, plan during the morning huddle the times that you need an exam and have the DDS check during the hygiene appointment rather than waiting until the end.
- Walk your DDS through the Exam, always quadrant by quadrant; pointing out areas of concern and pause. Put a system in place so that you are both on the same page.
- From the morning huddle remind yourself what you had recommended to them last time. Let them know you care by remembering their last visit and following up on any issues identified.
- Have the products on-hand that you are recommending rather than telling them what they need and sending them off to a store that has aisles and aisles of products. Chances are they are not going to purchase what you have recommended and will purchase the least expensive one. As a result, they won’t experience optimal oral health with a product that doesn’t cater to their needs and therefore could dismiss any advice in the future.
- Share your Professional Discount with your Client. For instance, if you are on the Crest Oral Health Solutions Plan and giving them a bag with the Oral B Power Brush, Paste, Rinse, Floss, etc. Let them know that the retail price is $275 however, you are extending your Professional Discount and it will only cost them $120 (for instance). Explain that we cannot make retail profit and that you are simply sharing that with them. That is the Easy Button!
- Have a little bag ready for them with their name on it and the products you are sending them home with. It could be as simple as a paper bag with nice writing on it (be creative!). It may take 10 minutes the day before to plan and put together, but this will go a long way. (ie. Increase loyalty, they know you pre-plan their appointment and this helps with Short Notice Cancellations as well).
- Offer a hot-towel service following treatment rather than sending them to the washroom ~ a soothing, nice touch!
- For New Clients – the front team should let them know where your office is – the time of day – is there traffic, construction, where to park, how they can find you. Send them an email prior to their visit with specifics.
- Have Wi-Fi available for the reception area.
I have lots more to share! And I invite you to join us on Friday, April 6th for ‘The 8 Simple Secrets to Growing Your Practice’ to learn more strategies that you can implement into your practice. This is a FREE day where we invite you and/or your team members to join us. We will have a nice lunch together prior to the workshop and right after, a couple of limos will pick us up and take us to/from a local vineyard that is only 10 minutes away! How easy is that?!
We will be sending out an email separately regarding this day; however, please feel free to email me for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for reading and your continued support! Please find information below regarding what’s coming up! Have a great week!